Fort McKavett – Menard, Texas
Menard County, in Central Texas about 250 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico, is bordered by Concho, McCulloch, Mason, Kimble, Sutton, Schleicher, and Tom Green counties. Menard, the county seat, is on the San Saba River at the intersection of U.S. Highway 83 and State Highway 29, about 130 miles northwest of San Antonio.
“Fort McKavett, twenty-two miles southwest of Menard in southwestern Menard County, was established by the United States War Department as Camp San Saba (not to be confused with Camp San Saba in McCulloch County) in March 1852. The camp covered about 2,373 acres near the right bank of the San Saba River. Several infantry companies were stationed there in an effort to protect frontier settlers from Comanche Indians.” Courtesy https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-mckavett