Fort Martin Scott – Fredericksburg, Texas
Located 75 miles west of Austin on State Highway 290 in the heart of the Texas Hill Country, Fredericksburg was the second German town founded in Texas. Founded in 1846, it was laid out in a typical German village style.
Fort Martin Scott was the first U.S. Army outpost built on the Texas Frontier. The historic site contains one original garrison building, which has been restored, one late 1800s old farm shed and three reproduction garrison buildings.
The old military fort was in operation from 1848 to 1853 by the U.S. Army. Texas Rangers used the site as a camp, both before and after military occupation.
For more information on the history of Fredericksburg, visit The Texas State Historical Association, Handbook of Texas
For more information on modern Fredericksburg, visit HERE